SolusVM Community
AndyB78

Can one VPS bring down the entire OpenVZ node?

Hi,

I am considering OpenVZ instead of KVM for better performance but I was wondering if the resource isolation is good enough to prevent one VPS from overloading (and possibly crashing) the entire physical node.

I don't mean for a flood to saturate the physical NIC. I was considering things like internal system resources overload (CPU, RAM, I/O etc).

Thanks!

Hi,

The one of feature that OpenVZ has is over-committing, so there is always a chance of one VPS using high resources causing load on the hardware node and certainly does affect the performance of the other on the same hardware node..

Yes, a single VPS in OpenVZ can bring down your whole node elsewise can surely effect the performance of all the other VPS/containers of the node.

If you are facing the problem with any particular container due to which your main node is getting effected then you can deploy a script to shut that VPS automatically or restart it when it goes beyond a given defined limit.

Here is a small tutorial for the same if needed : 

https://www.basezap.com/script-to-restart-server-if-load-increases-above-a-given-limit/

Hi,

In addition to basezap answer, found a monitoring script that can be useful - https://github.com/bacarrdy/openvz-monitor
It provides the brief info about the CTs running in the following format:

# sh openvz-monitor-master/mon.sh
VEID: 101  --- Read: 0MB/s Write: 0MB/s CPuUsage: 0% MemTotal: 36028797018963967 MB MemUsed: 38 MB LoadAverages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00 HddUsage: 8% HddTotal: 9.8G
VEID: 102  --- Read: 0MB/s Write: 0MB/s CPuUsage: 46% MemTotal: 36028797018963967 MB MemUsed: 257 MB LoadAverages: 0.66, 0.28, 0.11 HddUsage: 17% HddTotal: 9.8G

The output can be parsed and some action are specified (restart VM) in case of over usage in the cron script.