SolusVM Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shiny

Central Backups

Is it necessary to have dedicated server for this? We have a storage server with 10TB space running openfiler (based on rpath linux distro) so I was wondering if it will be possible to run solusvm backup server on this machine without losing current data and settings.

Phill, I was wondering if it is possible to install the backup server on the master? I don't think so, but it would be great if it is possible. Or if you could add the option to run the backup server on the master, it would be fine. We have currently a master running in a whole other location with enough storage on it, so it would be nice when it could run the backup system.

Phill, I was wondering if it is possible to install the backup server on the master? I don't think so, but it would be great if it is possible. Or if you could add the option to run the backup server on the master, it would be fine. We have currently a master running in a whole other location with enough storage on it, so it would be nice when it could run the backup system.

Or slaves for that matter.

I use a raid5 FreeNAS server for a Backup system, it is 1.8TB, and only utilising 2% of capacity so far (ie: 98% free space). It handles backups from multiple physical servers. Can i use Central Backup with my existing backup server, or only possible with this dedicated server? I also see with the new release that there's an SMS module? with Clickatell but logging into Client Area, i dont see how to download the module, if its included, or additional price - if so, how to pay.

I use a raid5 FreeNAS server for a Backup system, it is 1.8TB, and only utilising 2% of capacity so far (ie: 98% free space). It handles backups from multiple physical servers. Can i use Central Backup with my existing backup server, or only possible with this dedicated server? I also see with the new release that there's an SMS module? with Clickatell but logging into Client Area, i dont see how to download the module, if its included, or additional price - if so, how to pay.

Choose product addons after you login to the client area: https://www.soluslabs.com/clients/cart.php

Doing this would make it far more complicated than it's worth.

I was just thinking. XEN HVM requires to be tarred up on the host node, else it will give a lot bandwidth. Can't you add the option to tar it up on the slave node so it can be transferred by using FTP or rsync? It is a little bit more work to do, but XEN HVM does already require this. Also, you don't have to save those backups in the database as it is only critical to have a backup and not for the client. Just like DirectAdmin; backup and send it to the ftp/rsync server. And restore by downloading from the ftp/rsync server.

Remember that XEN HVM can't be mounted on the node, so it is a whole other way of backing up. Basicly, it copies the hard disk to an .img file and tars it up. The .img file can be for example 50GB, but when the disk usage of that guest is only 12GB it can be resized by tarring to 12GB or less.

As this solution uses a cloned hard disk, it will also work for Windows and any other OS supported by XEN.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.